Book review: Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

05:27 theslowslothreads 0 Comments




Goodreads Synopsis:

"In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the  OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines, puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. When Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape. "

First Published: 16th of November, 2011


No. of pages of this copy: 374


I have to admit, I read this book because of the hype, but also my friend recommended to me and that was the main reason, so I was like "yeeeah, why not, let's give it a try, and I'm really glad I did.

Let's start with the world building: It is absolutely amazing! I loved all the details, how exact the description was, I felt I'm actually part of the OASIS universe. Every planet with sectors was written with careful details. However this is also one of weakest part of the book. Sometimes you feel like, there are way too many descriptions, and you just want to carry on with the story.

And if I already mentioned the story, lets talk about it. It is great and simple, it just felt like a superhero hero story but with just a normal ordinary kid. I mean, just imagine. You are a normal, slightly overweight kid in a real world, who turns into this super famous gunter in a virtual world, and you save the day by defeating the bad guys. Super hero story ...
I loved the first part of the book, the first half of the secind part slowed down a bit, but third was good again. The last battle was epic, a real boss fight , and my favourite references were all the Japanese geeky stuff, but some of the computer games gave me some nostalgia feeling too. However I have to admit again, sometimes it was too much of the references. I felt like, the the writer really wanted to make this appealing for everyone, with all the music, series, movies, video games and even animes and mangas. ( Plus I don't know how could they memorize almost every single detail of the 80's. )

Oh, And I liked the romance aspect of the book. I know some people disagree with this part, but I found it cute and realistic. Especially in these days, it's so easy to fall in love with someone online (which can be also very dangerous) , and also making friends. But to be honest, I just remembered the good old days when I was chating with my boyfriend in msn messenger :3 (oh well....)

Of course there were some part where I could a few questions, but I just let it go. I will not mention, and I will not ask. Just enjoy it!

Book rating:  4.5/5 ★ 










You Might Also Like

0 comments: