Book review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

05:31 theslowslothreads 0 Comments



Goodreads Synopsis:

A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of curious photographs.

A horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.
 "


Published : 7th of June, 2011

No. of Pages: 352


I've read this book in September, but I wanted to talk about anyway ( if you read my instagram post back in September, you probably know what I think about it.)

This book is now everywhere, because of the new movie adaptation by Tim Burton. Aaaand that's why I read it. I wanted to know what's the hype for. I like to see what people are hyping books :D

I have to say, i was not impressed with the book. Oh, and review will contain minimal amount of spoilers

We start off with Jacob and his grandpa , and he introduces all the peculiar children with all the picture. 
Time passes, things are happening, grandpa passes way and Jacob states that a monster killed him. So everyone thinks that Jacob is going crazy. eventually he visits the Island what his grandpa talked about, he finds the children, secrets been revealed, problems happens, monsters are coming aaaaaand 2 more books.   

The pictures are great idea. Definitely grabs people's attention, so did mine. I truly loved the idea. But unfortunately it didn't always match the story smoothly, if you what I mean. I felt like He had to  write a story around these pictures, as he was getting the pictures first and the challenge was to write a story using these photos. 

The writing style was alright, not great, but okay. The story was okay too. I found it a bit predictable, the twist was..... alright I guess. Nothing extraordinary.

However .... the love aspect of the book just simply freaks me out. I did not like it at all!  I'm really into the love aspects in books anyway, it's quite rare when I like it (Ready Player One), but this whole "I loved your grandpa but hey, I love you now" I mean ... I understand that they are the same age, but they are not really the same age! (best explanation ever!) And I'm not a big fan Jacob either ... I just found him slightly annoying. Slightly.  I'm really hoping for a serious character development from him!

I also found the book really slow. I really don't mind slow books, if it's written well and build up carefully with a great ending, I really don't mind waiting. But even in the "most exciting" part,  I could easily put the book down.  And honestly, the creepiest part of the book are the pictures. I knew it's not scary, but I was waiting for a bit more creepiness. (I know.... dolls and kids ans heart , but still!)


All in all it's just an okay book. I was quite disappointed , especially because of all the hype around it, but that's how it is. I will attempt to read the second book, and I hope for character and story development!

3/5 




  

You Might Also Like

0 comments: